Wood has a natural antibacterial quality so it will not be as affected by germs as plastic toys.
Before initial use, please clean your toys following the below suggestions, or refer to the item’s manufacturer care instructions.
- Use diluted mild soap (eg. baby dish and bottle soap), vinegar (1:1 ratio – eg. 1 cup water + 1 cup of vinegar), or other non-toxic multipurpose cleaner diluted with water. Due to their toxicity and harshness, do not use disinfectants or harsh detergents such as antibacterial wipes or bleach.
- Never soak or immerse wooden toys in water – just spray, wipe with a cloth and warm water, then air dry at room temperature. Wood is porous and soaking might cause it to warp, swell, or develop mildew.
- Drying in the sun is great as it speeds up the drying process and the sun is a natural way to kill more germs. However strong sunlight or prolonged exposure can cause cracking and colours to fade.
- Depending on the wooden item, occasional moisturising can be beneficial/might be required. Olive or coconut oil work well – another non-toxic option is beeswax polish.